Monday, January 14, 2013

A Different Kind of Resolution

At the end of last year and the beginning of this year I thought about the things I wanted to accomplish. The normal things like "get in better shape," "read my Bible more," and others immediately popped into my head and I wondered how I could accomplish them. Then the new year came and went and I did nothing to accomplish them. I fell off the wagon before it even got going.

Personally, I don't really like New Year's resolutions. If you have to wait until the year restarts to begin something, chances are it's not going to happen in the first place. So instead of a "New Years Resolution," I propose something else: a Life Change Resolution. 

Now I am not proposing some radical new medicine, or some new exercise that will make you better, faster, smarter, prettier, and richer. There are enough infomercials to fill that void. What I am proposing is for you to look at your life, see what matches with God's will and what does not, and pick one thing to improve on for the next 6 months. Once you've got that down, move on to the next. It may be slow progress, but there is only one way to eat an elephant, and that is one bite at a time.

Do you struggle with anger? Take time out of your day to actively work on controlling it. 
Do you struggle with money? Pick something you like to spend it on and work on spending less on it.
Do you struggle with prayer? Use your time in the shower to pray.

You may have something else that is difficult. Look at what it is, look at what it takes away from you, and look at the simplest way to fix it.

Then follow through on it.

If you mess up, that's OK. Get back on the wagon and start moving forward again. The point is do not give up. As long as you do not give up, and as long as you realize that you can do it with God's help, you will be successful in the end. Remember, God does not say we have to do everything perfectly all the time. He does say that we must keep trying our best to be what He wants us to be.

So start today! Tomorrow is not soon enough. Today is the day we are given, so let's make the most of it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment