Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Favorite Verse

I will be the first to say that I am not very good at memorizing Bible verses. In fact, I am not very good at memorizing the specifics of anything. Most people tease me that I am the big-picture person while my wife is the memory. There is one verse, however, that I cannot forget. I happened to see it on a website at the exact time I needed to see it, and it has stuck with me ever since. That verse is Isaiah 46:4.

Even to your old age I am He. And even to grey hairs I will carry you! I have made, and I will bear; Even I will carry, and will deliver you.

Oddly enough, the reason this verse stuck out so much was because of the exclamation point. Now I realize that the exclamation point is in all likelihood not in the original Hebrew, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

I say this because there are so many times we read passages of the Bible and hear the voice of Ben Stein, or a similar monotone, boring voice. But that isn't how the Bible is written, and I don't believe that is how God speaks. I believe He speaks with emotion: angrily when He is angry and gently when He is comforting; sadly when He is saddened and excitedly when He wants to make a point.

This verse comes in the middle of God describing the powerlessness of idols versus His own enormous, unlimited power. He is telling His people, "Come to Me! Let Me be yours! Stop trusting in these worthless things that can't do anything for you!"

He says He is the same even as we become old and frail. Do you believe it?
He says even when we have no strength He has enough to carry us. Do you believe it?
He says He has created everything. Do you believe it?
He says He can and will shoulder the load. Do you believe it?
He says He will deliver His people. Do you believe it?
Do you truly believe it?

If you do, are you His? Have you put yourself under His care and protection? I'm not talking about Health & Wealth(tm) gospel here. I'm talking about putting yourself under God's control so that He can bring you to where you need to be. I'm talking about letting go of all the things and stuff you worry about and trusting God to take care of you, because you are His.

He will carry and deliver you, and He is excited to do so! But the first step is being His and working on becoming who He calls you to be. You don't have to be perfect or not mess up or get so far before He is willing to help. He will meet you where you are. You just have to be willing to follow where He leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment