Saturday, June 1, 2013

"Consume Me! ...later..."

Why is it so hard to say, "Consume me, God!," and mean it? Obviously I am not writing about being physically eaten, but I am writing about being devoured. Why is it so, so difficult to ask God to do that, and mean it?

Could it be that deep down, we don't really want to be consumed?

Could it be that really, we don't want to put in the work it takes to be devoured?

"After I finish this show, I'll give myself over," we say. "After I get home from work," we say. "I can't start this when I'm tired, after I wake up tomorrow," we say, "then I'll get to work on being consumed by God. I'll make sure I start fresh and give it all I've got!"

I wonder how many of us have made those statements.

Even more, I wonder how many of us have made good on those statements.

Don't allow Satan to tell you, "you can do it later." You can't. When you feel the urge to start giving yourself to God, do it! Don't wait until after class or after lunch or after you sleep. Do it right then!

It takes work. It takes sacrifice. It takes endurance.

It takes time

And it is not easy.

But don't let the fact that it is not easy or instant make you feel like it is not worth it.

Because it absolutely is.

There is no after, there is no later, there is no "in just a few minutes." Let yourself be consumed by Him now. Let your life, your mind, your heart, your soul be taken over, and push yourself to do the things it will take for God to devour everything you are and were and will be.

You'll be surprised by how much you gain when you give yourself up. It's hard to believe, even for me. But I want to. Not just a little bit either. I want to believe it as badly as I want to breathe. I want to want God as badly as I want air in my lungs. I want for people to see me and say "What in the world happened to that guy? Is that the same person we used to know?" Because that's how it should be.

So I'll work on it. Hard.

Will you join me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment